Friday 15 April 2016

15/4/16 My Monologues & Musings : The Man with a Shriveled Hand (Lk 6:6-11)

15/4/16 My Monologues & Musings : The Man with a Shriveled Hand (Lk 6:6-11)

On another Sabbath he went into the synagogue and was teaching, and a man was there whose right hand was shriveled. 7 The Pharisees and the teachers of the law were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal on the Sabbath. 8 But Jesus knew what they were thinking and said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Get up and stand in front of everyone.” So he got up and stood there.9 Then Jesus said to them, “I ask you, which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to destroy it?”10 He looked around at them all, and then said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He did so, and his hand was completely restored. 11 But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law were furious and began to discuss with one another what they might do to Jesus. The Musings of the Man with the Shriveled Hand Who got Healed….. “I am so happy that my right hand is healed and is normal! Oh, boy, it has been many years that I have been wanting, wishing, and worshiping for the healing of my withered right hand. I have been very regular in attending the Synagogue Services. But I never ever expected it to happen today! It all happened all on a sudden! There he was in our Synagogue! Jesus of Nazareth, the Young and Zealous Rabbi. I had heard that he was very caring and compassionate. As he entered the Synagogue he caught the sight of me. I was just dumbstruck. His very presence was powerful. And he did radiate a kind of aura. Even his diehard critics were somehow unsettled. As He stood in our midst, The whole Synagogue Congregation was electrified. His opponents were charged with a negative energy, While ordinary folks like me felt awesome vibes in us. I was speechless and forgot all about requesting him to heal me. I was at the back. He zeroed in and just commanded me to get up and stand before the Congregation. I was a nervous bundle! In plain and simple words he ordered me: “Stretch out your hand.” And I did! With ease! As if I would do it everyday. I was healed! After a few moments of deafening Sound of Silence, His opponents were furious and were up in arms. Because he healed my shriveled hand on a Sabbath. Sure they were looking for chance to pin Him down. It seemed that Jesus the Rabbi was deliberately giving the much needed ammunition to accuse him of breaking the Sabbath Laws. I was happy as well as sad! I was happy, and Very happy to have my shriveled right hand got Healed. But I was also very unhappy, As there was no one to share my joy! I also felt sad for Rabbi Jesus, As he was not congratulated and appreciated by them. I even forgot all together to say a Thank You! The more I think of Him, The more I am convinced that Jesus the Rabbi is the Promised Messiah! But what upsets me is the attitude of the Pharisees and the Teachers of the Law. How I wish! They a little bit compassion for me. How wish! I had heard a few words of caring and compassion from them. After all I am from the very village. I too am a member of the Synagogue Community. They seemed to be obsessed with the apparent threat from Jesus, the young and energetic Rabbi. They looked for faults in whatever Jesus did or said. How I wish! They had an open mind towards Jesus, the Young Rabbi It seems they had made their mind to get rid this so called Messiah! It makes me sad!” Dear Jesus, My Risen Lord, I do often behave like the Pharisees. I am often obsessed with imaginary threats from those whom I consider as my mortal enemies! I can only see negatives in them and in their activities. Besides, I don't often see the sick, the suffering, and the marginalized with compassion. Dear Jesus, My Risen Lord, You have seen me behaving like the Pharisees, Haven't You? I want to catch myself whenever I act like those Pharisees. I want to keep them under a tight leash and gradually eliminate them altogether. I want to work on it in a very special way during this Year of Mercy. Dear Jesus, My Risen Lord, I bring before you: Everyone of my loved ones. Everyone of my enemies who were and are. Everyone who loves as well as hates me. Everyone whom I love and whom i hate. Everyone who helps me and who don't. Everyone whom i have lead astray. Everyone who is sick and needs healing. Everyone who is in despair and needs hope. Every priest who is in need of prayers. Everyone who has met with me! Oh, Jesus, My Lord and My God, I thank You, I thank the Father, I thank the Spirit, For Your Unsolicited gift of life for me! For Your Uncountable blessings for me! For Your Unlimited Patience with me! For Your Untold Forgiveness for me! For Your Unflinching faith in me! For Your Unfailing Hope in me! For Your Unconditional Love of me! Amen JoAchen Joachenmonologues@gmail.com Friday, 15th April 2016 These Reflections are neither pure scientific exegesis nor are they any highly theological explanations. They are a sort of devotional musings and monologues mainly meant for my personal renewal and spiritual growth. They are a part of my journaling…. I am a near seventy year old Pallottine priest from India. I consider myself to be a "prodigal priest in process," trying to make my pilgrimage back to the Home of the Heavenly Father guided by His Son and the Holy Spirit, aided by the Blessed Mother and St. Joseph, and inspired by Thomas the Apostle and by Vincenzo Pallotti, "the apostle of Rome." Despite my academic studies in Indian Philosophy (India), Sacred Scriptures(Rome), Psychology (USA) and Teaching and Parish Ministries at home and abroad, I have yet to do a lot more and work on myself much more for my spiritual growth and personal maturity. As I lag behind, I strongly feel the urge and need to grow spiritually and wholistically. I need to start almost every day anew. I keep on counting the innumerable blessings which the Lord keeps showering on me for the last near seventy years and I keep on recounting my manifold sins and failures with a contrite heart.Trying out a semi-secluded way of life, I find myself perched on a Hilltop Shrine. Dear Reader, I keep holding you in my daily prayers and request you to do the same for me.Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment